And let there be light…

It’s been a long and trying weekend, but I’m significantly closer to where I need to be. To start off, I was able to yank all of the lights out and started one by one working through the lights. The first order of business what to wiring up the light that had been eaten. I soldered and used heat shrink on the splice for the wince lights, and added waterproof connectors. I’m pleased with how they came out, even though I’ll have to re-do them. More on that later.

After getting everything up front laid out, I started plugging things in and that’s when the fun began. The drives side appeared to work correctly, but the passenger side was acting funny in all kinds of ways. The lights would just come on randomly with no consistency. I kept tracing the wires and not coming up with anything, even though everything seemed to be correct. That was, ultimately, correct. That’s of little comfort after having spent literally hours trying to figure it out. I ended up calling it quits before I really broke something.

When I went back to it this morning, fresh, I started isolating the power connections and running one at a time. I ended up finding that while the housings showed grounded when I put my multi-meter on them, when hot was applied, I lost both ground and subsequently voltage. I took a shot and ran a temporary ground and wallah, the lights started working. A single solitary ground had me running around lost. Such is life I guess. With that knowledge, I was able to button up the front with one issue left up front. My passenger grill signal light turn doesn’t work. It’s actually a socket issue, and not wiring, so I’m leaving it as is until I can buy a new housing. I’ll actually be buying the pair so I can have nice clear lenses on both sides. Regardless, the front harness is in good shape for now. This is where I’m going to have to re-do the connections I mentioned previously.

That allowed me to move on to the back. I had a short in the drivers side lamp, and the passenger side was acting unpredictably, so I had pulled them both out. Fortunately the passenger side appears to have been due to the issues from the front. I plugged the housing back in, and my initial tests revealed good connectivity. Marker, turn, and backup lights all worked. I then moved on to the passenger side. This housing was missing the connector, and had simple bullet type connectors plugged into the harness. Rather than cut the harness, I decided to do my testing with the connectors. I found the harness had parts of the old connector broken off in it, which was likely my issue. I fixed that, plugged everything in as it should be, and again my tests passed. I won’t be leaving it like this. I’m going to buy a new light with the correct connector so it’s done right. I could replace the connector on both ends, but don’t want to chop off the connector and have it different between the two sides.

This is where my next hurdle came in. I don’t have brake lights, and my flashers don’t work in the rear. I’m not sure what the issue there is, but I’m relatively certain that when I figure out the brake lights that the flashers will be resolved at the same time. We shall see. And that is my next order of business. Figure out the brake and rear hazard issue.

Once I have that working, I’ll be moving on to the dash. Hopefully that’s not too chewed up. An uber positive thing to note is my wife is encouraged and excited for our first excursion. It’s not going to happen too soon, obviously, but everything I get done gets me one step closer.

And now the obligatory pictures…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *