After just a bit of agitation this happened today…

You may have seen yesterday that it was a party. Well, we got the party started last night, and shut’er down today. There was a bit of agitation, a bit of confusion, a bit of cursing, and a bit of rejoicing, and it got done. The motor mounts weren’t all that bad to change out. Actually none of the mounts were from the perspective of getting the bolts out. Now, actually getting things back in and aligned is a different story. 

When I pulled the motor mounts, there was a ground strap on the drivers side that didn’t reach around the new mount correctly. That threw me off, but eventually I was able to get new cables and replace some other grounds that were simply missing. Once again the guys at the Jeep-CJ forums were invaluable in getting me pointed in the right direction.

The transmission mount and torque arm was super easy to get out, even though it was literally caked with about a 1/2 inch of nastiness. I pulled it down and got to cleaning. I kid you not, I think I pull close to 15lbs of crud off the mounts and skid pan. Once I got everything cleaned up, I threw the new mounts on, and that’s when the real fun began. I had a heck of a time getting the pan mounting bolts to line up on both sides of the frame rails. To add insult to injury, one of the captive nuts decided to pop out when I went to put the bolt back in. I’m just thankful it didn’t decide to start spinning when I was taking it out. I’m not sure what I’m going to do about that, just yet, but for now it’s got 5 out of the 6 bolts in place. Actually, that’s the way it was when I pulled it out, just reversed.

And now on to the pictures. I dig the payoff, and I’m sure the jeep is going to thank me for it. Of course, I found a few other things I need to deal with, like the steering shaft and rear main seal, but at least now the motor’s not going to torque out of the frame. I call it a win.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *